Unlike long hair styles, short hair is not easy to maintain and care for, women with short hair cuts spend more money and time styling their hair, however once you get used to this style, you will find it comfortable and probably this explains why very busy women opt for this trendy short hair. African Americans are blessed with short natural hair, so you should take this as an added advantage and style your hair accordingly. However, short hair needs relative attention as long hair, you need to trim it so that it stays in shape, and you also need to moisturize it with natural hair conditioning products.
AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIRSTYLES PICTURES:
Naturally African Americans are born with black short hair, but bleaching your hair into blonde short hair will be a cool idea though it requires some extra work. However, before dying your hair blonde, make sure that the color tone of your skin complements this blonde bright hair. Even though blonde short hair looks cute, it is not easy to maintain, because it gets dirty very quickly and it needs more attention and care. The lady in the photo above has a short styled blonde hairstyle which looks cool on her because she has a bright skin.
HOW TO STYLE SHORT BLONDE HAIR?
- Condition and prepare short hair: Since you have black natural short hair, you will need to use a natural hair conditioner so that it gets ready for a new style. Wash it clean and dry it with a towel. Please don’t use a dry blower on very short hair, you might end up burning your scalp. However, avoid hair conditioners / shampoo with sulfate, because this chemical will leave your hair completely dry.
- Decide which short cut you want: Now that your hair is pure clean, you need to get a cool haircut which suits your face shape. Women with long face shapes will look good with a Pixie haircut.
- Buy Bleaching Supplies: Now the type of bleaching chemical or powder you will use to turn your black hair blonde will depend on the nature of your hair. We have different types of bleaches and these include; bleach powder which comes in packets, creme developer, toner, red gold corrector and so much more.
- Use Neutral Protein Filler: This should be applied after bleaching your hair, because during the process of bleaching, you hair will lose most of the proteins, so you need to refill them using a Neutral Protein Filler.
- Mix the bleaching chemical: Now that you have the right bleaching product, carefully read instructions on how to mix this product. If you don’t follow instructions you will damage your hair. However, before you start dealing with these chemicals, i advice you to wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Apply Bleach to your hair: Make sure your hair is completely dry, use a brush to apply this bleach, you might need to put some petroleum jelly on the boundaries of your hair and face skin, this will stop bleaching chemicals from flowing and drying on your skin. For those who have never bleached before, you might need to get some help from a friend or go to the saloon.
- Cover your hair after bleaching: Immediately after applying bleaching chemical in your hair, use a plastic wrap to cover your hair, this will allow the bleach to work effectively.When it comes to timing, you can set 15 – 30 minutes, and then remove the cover to see if the bleach has worked. If at all you find out that the your hair has not turned blonde, apply little amounts of bleach and cover your hair once again.
- Wash the Bleach: Now that your hair has become blonde, you can go ahead and remove the bleach. To do this, you will simply need to rinse your hair using a shampoo which is meant for cleaning bleached hair.
THINGS YOU NEED:
- Blonde Bleaching powder bleach
- Neutral protein filler ( for replacing lost proteins in your hair)
- Tinting brush ( for applying bleach
- Plastic bowl ( for mixing bleach power with water)
- Plastic wrapper
- Shampoo and conditioner for bleached hair
Finger coils are so pretty, women with soft black short hair can coil their hair in so many ways. The style of finger coils in the picture above will look good on women with small heads and oval shapes. Round faced women will opt for the medium length finger coils.
HOW TO DO FINGER COILS ON NATURAL HAIR?
- Just as you would do for any other hairstyle, you need to clean and condition your short hair.
- Decide on which finger coils you want to have. For example, we have the small coils like the one in the picture above, and then we also have the ones done in mid short length hairstyles.
- After conditioning your hair, use natural methods to dry it, because a blower has to much heat so it can’t work on such hairstyle.
- Now that your hair is dry, you can use your fingers to make small coils in your hair, this will take sometime, so be patient.
- Moisturize your coils once they are done, you can use a coil spray to make them stiff and permanent.
HOW TO CARE FOR SHORT AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR?
- Apply shampoo and natural hair conditioning products at least twice a month. This will keep your black short hair clean. If you clean your hair with natural products, it will stay moist which will help it grow and become stronger.
- No need of using blowers or heat: African American hair is too delicate, so you can’t use this heat blower every time. Too much heat will damage your hair. Always opt for natural methods if you want to style your hair.
- Stay healthy: I see many African American women leaving a poor lifestyle, eating fatty foods and snacks, these foods add nothing good to your body, but they deposit useless fats under your skin which results into weight gain. I suggest you opt for organic foods with nutrients and vitamins. Your hair feeds on what you eat, so be careful on what you put inside your stomach. Take enough water, eat more fruits and vegetables
- Rest and leave a stress free life: It is true you can’t avoid stress because life is challenge, but being relaxed and learning to take one day at a time will cut down on your stress levels. You also need to have enough sleep, because our body functions more when we’re sleeping.
Blonde Hair for Black Women: This is a cute short bob blonde hairstyle, if you want to wear a short bob with a long face; this is the best trend for you. As you can see in the photo above, the lady balanced her long face shape by leaving one side of her bob to go below the chin, and then one side was left short, look at how she side-swept the bang to cover the fore head and balance the flow of hair on her head. You can also have a similar short hairstyle, but tinting medium length hair is somehow complicated compared to bleaching very short hair like the one we have in (Style 1), so if you have black hair and you want to switch to this blonde color, I suggest you go to the saloon.
Curly : If you don’t want to commit your self to very short hairstyles, you can go for this medium length black curly hairstyle. In this case, you will cut your hair so that it stops above your shoulders, if your black hair is thick just like the one in the picture above, you will look fabulous.
Curling medium length black hair should not be difficult, simply follow the steps below to have a similar short hairstyle:
- Prepare your hair for a new hairstyle: Before curling short hair, you need to clean and condition it using good hair conditioner / shampoo. However, for you to keep a thick volume of hair, you need to wash your hair with cold water. Dry your hair with a blower or towel, but make sure that it stays moist.
- Use a heat protectant: If you plan to use a curling iron to make curls in short black hair, you need to protect your hair from excessive heat produced by that curling iron. So get the best heat protectant spray or cream and apply it on your hair before curling it.
- Separate the Bang from the rest of the hair: You need to pin up the bang so that you concentrate on other sections of your hair. For best results, you need to make segments in your hair, do this with a tail comb; this will help you curl each section independently. After this process, you can as well work on the bang.
- Spray your hair: You can use a water sprinkle bottle to spray some little water over your hair, make sure it doesn’t get wet, and just keep it moist so that it’s not dry, because it is very difficult to curl dry hair.
- Use a Curling Iron: Now that your hair is moist and segmented, you can use a curling iron with a moderate size barrel to make similar curls like the lady in the picture above. Fold your hair on the curling iron and roll the iron downwards, do this slowly to get effective results.
This medium length haircut will look good on women with oval, round, and square face shapes.
THINGS YOU NEED:
- Curling Iron
- Heat Protectant
- Hair Spray
- Serum / gel
- Hair Conditioner / Shampoo
Looks very cute and natural, this type of hairstyle will make you look so beautiful and natural. I always see top African American models and celebrities with this type of short hair. You might leave yours black or decide to tint it just like the lady in the photo above.
To maintain this super short natural hair, you need to trim it regularly to ensure that it stays short all the time, you also need to use hair products to keep it shinny, moist and fine.
Super short haircuts look good on women with long , square, heart and diamond face shapes.
Braids: You can braid your short hair and have a similar look like the lady in the photo above. Since African women have natural short hair, it can be tricky for them to grow long hair, so braids can look cute yet they also help you grow long hair. However, it is not easy to make such a braid style by your self, so I suggest you go to a braid stylist and get a great hair makeover.
Bob Haircuts:- African American women with round faces, this is a great hairstyle for you. Bobs are easy to style and they bring out the shape of your round face very well without over exaggerating it. I like the way this chic looks, she’s too pretty and natural.
Afro Hairstyle: Many African Americans love Afro Hairstyles because of its natural and unique look, women of all face shapes can have this Afro hair, however, it takes a while to have a thick Afro hairstyle, use the tips I have listed below to get a similar hairstyle like the lady in the photo above:
HOW TO HAVE A SHORT AFRO HAIRSTYLE:
- Keep your hair and scalp moisturized: To grow an Afro, you need to have thick hair and one of the easiest ways of growing thick hair is by using natural hair products with nutrients to moisturize both the scalp and hair. You can look for hair products with ingredients like Olive and jojoba, these two products will keep your hair oily which supports thick hair growth.
- Plait your hair regularly: Our body hormones are very active when we go to sleep, so this is the time when your hair will grow, that is to why I advise you to plait it before bed time, this will ensure that it stays moist the all night.
- Keep your hair away from heat: The best way of growing Afro hairstyles very quickly is by keeping it moist, so stay away from heat, if it is summer time, you can wear a hat or a hood.
- Work on those split ends: Since you need to plait your hair on a regular basis, you need to trim those split ends, this will strengthen your hair and it will also make it thicker.
- Eat Well: Your hair feeds on your body, so what ever you eat will defiantly affect the type of hair you have. So, make sure you eat healthy foods like Nuts, Eggs, Whole Grains, Carrots, Beans, Green Vegetables and so much more. However, you also need to drink enough water and leave a stress free lifestyle.
Medium Hair Cuts: If you have a round or square face shape, you can cut your hair short just like the lady in the photo. Side sweeping the bang will give your face a new shape which makes you look different and beautiful.
AFRICAN AMERICAN SHORT HAIR – ‘’WIGS & HAIRSTYLES’’
Now that we have covered some of the best short hairstyles for African American women, I would like to see things from the other side of life, in this case, black women who seem to be very busy, might not have time to go to the saloon and make some of these cute black hairstyles, so, you can as well look attractive if you try to wear any of these African American short Wigs, all featured wigs are affordable, simply use shopping links featured below each wig to go to a featured store selling that particular, however, we don’t guarantee on the quality and delivery of that particular store.
When it comes to caring for these short hair wigs, you will get instructions from the store you buy any of these wigs from, however, I will give you brief instructions on how to maintain the beauty if any of these featured wigs.
Black women always want to look glamorous, most black women have thick hair, even though it becomes very hard for them to grow it long, so you will notice that most of them resort to short hairstyles. In our picture above, I have featured an African American celebrity with a brown medium / shoulder length hairstyle, her long square face shape looks cute with type of hairstyle, it is also a great option for work hairstyles, so if you have always been wondering which haircut to opt for when going to work, try out this shoulder length trend. On the other hand, things have become even better, because you can easily buy this Wavy Full Lace African American Wig and look exactly like the celebrity featured in the picture above. This type of wig has a human look texture, so it will exactly like your own hair. It is not new to find a black woman with a wig, so you don’t have to waste too much money and time in the saloon. Attaching a new wig can be done in so many easy ways and it will take just minutes. However, the same way you take care of normal hair, is the same way you take care of a wig, you need to spray it regularly so that it maintains a glow look.
This type of haircut will give your face a glow look and it will give it enough exposure because it is super short and bright. If you have a similar color skin, you can try to bleach that short haircut and look exactly like Rihanna. You can as well wear fake eye lashes to spice up your looks, it’s of no harm, so don’t get scared.
Judging from the style and simplicity of this haircut, women with oval / heart / square face shapes will look nice with this haircut. Hair on the sides has to be cut to a 1-2 inch level. If you want to hide that fore head, please, brush the bang to the front just like Rihanna did in the picture above; however, don’t forget to spray your hair so that it stays moist and smooth.
If you want to stand out from the crowd and make a statement the moment people put their eyes on you…..this is the best red medium length hairstyle you should opt for. Rihanna just makes it easy and adorable to wear a red hairstyle, I have seen lots of her pictures with red hair, this is a great inspiration for young girls and urban ladies who always want to follow a different path when it comes to style. It takes real confidence and style to opt for a red hairstyle. It is a great idea to first wave / curl your hair before bleaching it red. You need to be careful when opting for this color, because it doesn’t look cute on every woman, however, African American women with light skins can go for it without doubt.
On the other hand, you can buy this Red Wig by Rihanna and get a quick beauty makeover.
WHAT TO WEAR WITH RED HAIR?
This might sound like a simple question, but the last thing you should avoid is to clash colors. Unlike black hair which matches with any outfit, you need to be careful when choosing colors to match with this red hairstyle, yes, I know you love color blocking, but do it in an attractive manner. Some of the colors which can match with this red hair include;
- WHITE: - This is a neutral color, which matches well with red hair, so you can wear a white top or outfit of your choice.
- WHITE & BLACK: - If you love zebra outfits, they will also look good with red hair.
- PURPLE: - Color blockers, this has to be your choice, purple complements very well with red hair.
- TEAL: - This is another great option for Color blockers, please, if your not comfortable with color blocking, keep it simple and opt for normal colors like white / black.
- BLACK: - Any one who is scared of trying out other colors, a safe option is here for you. Black will complement a red hairstyle very well.
- POLKA TOPS: - Most of these tops have black & white, or yellow & red, so chose a polka dot top with some of those colors, it will look good with red hair.
- BLUE: - Since it’s a casual hairstyle, you can opt for a blue denim jacket, the color of the top / shirt can be black / white.
- DARK GREY: - This color is close to black, so it will also look attractive when complemented with red hair.
- RED :- YEP….Match your red hairstyle with a red blazer, this will give you an option of wearing either a white / black/ yellow top to spice up the all trend. If you love red through out, that is cool, you can opt for a red dress, or try to wear a red long sleeved top and a pink peplum skirt and then conclude the all trend with cream pumps.
I’m sure, many African American women and other black women all over the world are inspired by Rihanna’s short hairstyles. With out doubt, Rihanna ranks highly when it comes short haircuts, as you can see, in the three featured photos of Rihanna, she pulls of different short haircuts in a very interesting manner. When it co0mes to beauty, you should always be very creative, please don’t get stuck with on haircut, try out different hairstyles, this will give you a new look always, if you don’t have the money to experiment different hairstyles, I suggest you go to a beauty store and try out different wigs and see if they look cute on you. Ladies who want quick solutions when it comes to haircuts & styles, you can easily buy Rihanna’s Wigs featured on this list, simply use the shopping link below each wig and get Rihanna’s Short Wigs.
If you have a round short face shape like the lady in the photo above, you will look fabulous with a short pixie haircut. Women who have weight like the lady featured in the photo, you need haircuts which make you look thinner, and you also have to wear outfits which feet you well, always avoid huge volumized hairstyles like the Afro hairstyles because they add weight on you.
You can as well try out the curly hair trend with that short hair. I have featured 3 beautiful curly / wavy hairstyles you can opt for, the size of your curls will be determined by the nature of your hair and size of the barrel of the curling iron. You can also use natural methods to make curls or waves; this will save your hair from heat produced by a curling iron. On the other hand, a curling iron makes the all process very easy and first, so i guess most of you will opt for that, however, you need to use a heat protectant to create a shield against heat produced by a curling iron.
If you want big waves like the lady in position 17, you need to have thick volumized hair, because thin hair can’t have such big waves. The all process of growing African American / black women’s hair thick is not too difficult, because you’re naturally blessed with thick hair, all you need to do is to braid your hair so that it grows both thick and long, change your diet, and also use hair growth supplements to get quick results.
If you want to play it simple and cool, you can opt for a straight hair cut. This is one of the easiest haircut any woman would crave for, it is even comfortable, because all you need to do in the morning is to spray the hair and brush it straight. I have featured 3 examples of beautiful black women with short straight haircuts, you can use any example, but the other option is to buy a short straight wig, this will save you both time and money, yet these wigs look exactly like human hair.
SIDE SWEEPING THE BANG:
In position 11 & 12, both ladies have a side swept bang style, this is a good style if you want to create a diagonal long face shape, and it’s a cool way of changing your looks. That bang has to be trimmed in a diagonal angle, which means, it will longer as it drapes down and short at the top. Sweep it to the sides with your fingers or a comb, and make sure it integrates with the rest of the hair very well.
TIPS ON HOW TO STRAIGHTEN AFRICAN AMERICAN SHORT HAIR:
- Wash & Condition your hair: - This is a basic step which you have to consider whenever your styling that hair. Use shampoo / conditioner which are sulfate free and then wash out the conditioner with cold water to keep that thick volume.
- Dry your hair: - After washing out the conditioner, you have to blow dry that hair so that it becomes dry but moist. Don’t get tempted to straighten hair when it’s wet.
- Use a heat protectant :- If you plan to straighten your hair with a flat iron, you need to apply heat protectant. That flat iron produces heat which is not friendly to hair, so you have to be very careful when using heat products.
- Comb your hair straight :- Before using a straightening tool, it is advisable to first comb hair straight, this help in preparing your hair for a new straight hairstyle and it will also remove tangles which where formed during the washing process. To avoid damaging hair strands, you need to use a wide toothed comb.
- Set the flat iron: - Now it’s time to straighten that hair, however, you need to set the iron to a moderate heat level. Part your hair into different sections, this will make it easier to straighten, now hold the iron and start flattening one section at a time. If the hair gets dry during the process of ironing, sprinkle some little water over the hair, so that it gets moist but not wet.
- Trim Split ends: - I will not debate on this, when ever you straighten your hair, split ends will show off all over your hair. If you agree with me, then get sharp pair of scissors and trim off those split ends. This will give you a neat straight haircut.
- Spray that newly straight hair cut: - To have a smooth and sleek straight haircut like the lady in position 12 & 13, you need to spray the hair with a good hair spray, this will keep it smooth and volumized.
- Use all natural hair products: – The best way of taking care of African American hair is to use natural / organic hair products. These products differ; some are for oily hair while others are for dry hair, so you need to define the nature of your hair before using any type of hair product. For example, women with dry hair, you should opt for oil based products, Jojoba & Olive oil hair products will be the best. To keep that straight hair smooth and thick, you have to avoid very heavy hair products; they will make it too thick and funny.
THINGS YOU NEED:
- Organic / All Natural Hair Conditioner.
- Flat Iron
- Wide Toothed Comb
- Heat Protectant
- Hair Spray
- Gel / Serum
Hope you have got the right hair style or wig for your face shape, I will not guarantee that you will look exactly like any of these ladies, but I’m 100% sure that you will look fabulous.