Unlike long hair styles, short hair is not easy to maintain and care for, women with short hair cuts spend more money and time styling their hair, however once you get used to this style, you will find it comfortable and probably this explains why very busy women opt for this trendy short hair. African Americans are blessed with short natural hair, so you should take this as an added advantage and style your hair accordingly. However, this short hair needs relative attention as long hair, you need to trim it so that it stays in shape, and you also need to moisturize it with natural hair conditioning products.
Today on CircleTrest, I have listed some of the best African American hairstyles you might fancy
AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIRSTYLES PICTURES:
Naturally African Americans are born with black short hair, but turning your short hair into blonde short hair will be a cool idea though it requires some extra work. However, before dying your hair blonde, make sure that the color tone of your skin complements this blonde bright hair. Even though blonde short hair looks cute, it is not easy to maintain, because it gets dirty very quickly and it needs more attention and care. The lady in the photo above has a short styled blonde hairstyle
HOW TO STYLE:
- Condition and prepare your short hair: Since you have black natural short hair, you will need to use a natural hair conditioner so that it gets ready for a new style. Wash it clean and dry it with a towel. Please don’t use a dry blower on very short hair, you might end up burning your scalp. However, avoid hair conditioners / shampoo with sulfate, because this chemical will leave your hair completely dry.
- Decide which short cut you want: Now that your hair is pure clean, you need to get a cool haircut which suits your face shape. Women with long face shapes will look good with Pixie haircut.
- Buy Bleaching Supplies: Now the type of bleaching chemical or powder you will use to turn your black hair blonde will depend on the nature of your hair. We have different types of bleaches and these include; bleach powder which comes in packets, creme developer, toner, red gold corrector and so much more.
- Use Neutral Protein Filler: This should be applied after bleaching your hair, because during the process of bleaching, you hair will lose most of the proteins, so you need to refill them using a Neutral Protein Filler.
- Mix the bleaching chemical: Now that you have the right bleaching product, carefully read instructions on how to mix this product. If you don’t follow instructions you will damage your hair. However, before you start dealing with these chemicals, i advice you to wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Apply Bleach to your hair: Make sure your hair is completely dry, use a brush to apply this bleach, you might need to put some petroleum jelly on the boundaries of your hair and face skin, this will stop bleaching chemicals from flowing and drying on your skin. For those who have never bleached before, you might need to get some help from a friend or go to the saloon.
- Cover your hair after bleaching: Immediately after applying bleaching chemical in your hair, use a plastic wrap to cover your hair, this will allow the bleach to work effectively.When it comes to timing, you can set 15 – 30 minutes, and then remove the cover to see if the bleach has worked. If at all you find out that the your hair has not turned blonde, apply little amounts of bleach and cover your hair once again.
- Wash the Bleach: Now that your hair has become blonde, you can go ahead and remove the bleach. To do this, you will simply need to rinse your hair using a shampoo which is meant for cleaning bleached hair.
THINGS YOU NEED:
- Blonde Bleaching powder bleach
- Neutral protein filler ( for replacing lost proteins in your hair)
- Tinting brush ( for applying bleach
- Plastic bowl ( for mixing bleach power with water)
- Plastic wrapper
- Shampoo and conditioner for bleached hair
Finger coils are so pretty, women with soft black short hair can coil their hair in so many ways. The style of finger coils in the picture above will look good on women with small heads and oval shapes. Round faced women will opt for the medium length finger coils.
HOW TO DO FINGER COILS ON NATURAL HAIR?
- Just as you would do for any other hairstyle, you need to clean and condition your short hair.
- Decide on which finger coils you want to have. For example, we have the small coils like the one in the picture above, and then we also have the ones done in mid short length hairstyles.
- After conditioning your hair, use natural methods to dry it, because a blower has to much heat so it can’t work on such hairstyle.
- Now that your hair is dry, you can use your fingers to make small coils in your hair, this will take sometime, so be patient.
- Moisturize your coils once they are done, you can use a coil spray to make them stiff and permanent.
HOW TO CARE FOR SHORT AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR?
- Apply shampoo and natural hair conditioning products at least twice a month. This will keep your black short hair clean. If you clean your hair with natural products, it will stay moist which will help it grow and become stronger.
- No need of using blowers or heat: African American hair is too delicate, so you can’t use this heat blower every time. Too much heat will damage your hair. Always opt for natural methods if you want to style your hair.
- Stay healthy: I see many African American women leaving a poor lifestyle, eating fatty foods and snacks, these foods add nothing good to your body, but they deposit useless fats under your skin which results into weight gain. I suggest you opt for organic foods with nutrients and vitamins. Your hair feeds on what you eat, so be careful on what you put inside your stomach. Take enough water, eat more fruits and vegetables
- Rest and leave a stress free life: It is true you can’t avoid stress because life is challenge, but being relaxed and learning to take one day at a time will cut down on your stress levels. You also need to have enough sleep, because our body functions more when we’re sleeping.
African American Short Hairstyles – Blonde Hair: This is a cute short bob blonde hairstyle, if you want to wear a short bob with a long face; this is the best trend for you. As you can see in the photo above, the lady balanced her long face shape by leaving one side of her bob to go below the chin, and then one side was left short, look at how she side-swept the bang to cover the fore head and balance the flow of hair on her head. You can also have a similar short hairstyle, but tinting medium length hair is somehow complicated compared to bleaching very short hair like the one we have in (Style 1), so if you have black hair and you want to switch to this blonde color, I suggest you go to the saloon.
African American Short Curly Hairstyles: If you don’t want to commit your self to very short hairstyles, you can go for this medium length black curly hairstyle. In this case, you will cut your hair so that it stops above your shoulders, if your black hair is thick just like the one in the picture above, you will look fabulous.
Curling medium length black hair should not be difficult, simply follow the steps below to have a similar short hairstyle:
- Prepare your hair for a new hairstyle: Before curling short hair, you need to clean and condition it using good hair conditioner / shampoo. However, for you to keep a thick volume of hair, you need to wash your hair with cold water. Dry your hair with a blower or towel, but make sure that it stays moist.
- Use a heat protectant: If you plan to use a curling iron to make curls in short black hair, you need to protect your hair from excessive heat produced by that curling iron. So get the best heat protectant spray or cream and apply it on your hair before curling it.
- Separate the Bang from the rest of the hair: You need to pin up the bang so that you concentrate on other sections of your hair. For best results, you need to make segments in your hair, do this with a tail comb; this will help you curl each section independently. After this process, you can as well work on the bang.
- Spray your hair: You can use a water sprinkle bottle to spray some little water over your hair, make sure it doesn’t get wet, and just keep it moist so that it’s not dry, because it is very difficult to curl dry hair.
- Use a Curling Iron: Now that your hair is moist and segmented, you can use a curling iron with a moderate size barrel to make similar curls like the lady in the picture above. Fold your hair on the curling iron and roll the iron downwards, do this slowly to get effective results.
This medium length haircut will look good on women with oval, round, and square face shapes.
THINGS YOU NEED:
- Curling Iron
- Heat Protectant
- Hair Spray
- Serum / gel
- Hair Conditioner / Shampoo
Looks very cute and natural, this type of hairstyle will make you look so beautiful and natural. I always see top African American models and celebrities with this type of short hair. You might leave yours black or decide to tint it just like the lady in the photo above.
To maintain this super short natural hair, you need to trim it regularly to ensure that it stays short all the time, you also need to use hair products to keep it shinny, moist and fine.
Super short haircuts look good on women with long , square, heart and diamond face shapes.
African American Short Hairstyles with Braids: You can braid your short hair and have a similar look like the lady in the photo above. Since African women have natural short hair, it can be tricky for them to grow long hair, so braids can look cute yet they also help you grow long hair. However, it is not easy to make such a braid style by your self, so I suggest you go to a braid stylist and get a great hair makeover.
African American women with round faces, this is a great hairstyle for you. Bobs are easy to style and they bring out the shape of your round face very well without over exaggerating it. I like the way this chic looks, she’s too pretty and natural.
African American Short Hairstyles – Afro: Many African Americans love Afro Hairstyles because of its natural and unique look, women of all face shapes can have this Afro hair, however, it takes a while to have a thick Afro hairstyle, use the tips I have listed below to get a similar hairstyle like the lady in the photo above:
HOW TO HAVE A SHORT AFRO HAIRSTYLE:
- Keep your hair and scalp moisturized: To grow an Afro, you need to have thick hair and one of the easiest ways of growing thick hair is by using natural hair products with nutrients to moisturize both the scalp and hair. You can look for hair products with ingredients like Olive and jojoba, these two products will keep your hair oily which supports thick hair growth.
- Plait your hair regularly: Our body hormones are very active when we go to sleep, so this is the time when your hair will grow, that is to why I advise you to plait it before bed time, this will ensure that it stays moist the all night.
- Keep your hair away from heat: The best way of growing Afro hairstyles very quickly is by keeping it moist, so stay away from heat, if it is summer time, you can wear a hat or a hood.
- Work on those split ends: Since you need to plait your hair on a regular basis, you need to trim those split ends, this will strengthen your hair and it will also make it thicker.
- Eat Well: Your hair feeds on your body, so what ever you eat will defiantly affect the type of hair you have. So, make sure you eat healthy foods like Nuts, Eggs, Whole Grains, Carrots, Beans, Green Vegetables and so much more. However, you also need to drink enough water and leave a stress free lifestyle.
African American Medium Hair Cuts: If you have a round or square face shape, you can cut your hair short just like the lady in the photo. Side sweeping the bang will give your face a new shape which makes you look different and beautiful.